Sunday, October 5, 2008

Marathon Mama

Saint George Marathon 2008
So Saturday was the day of the big race. I woke up at 4am ready to run!!
This is how I felt... nervous, excited, anxious!


Here are my shoes with my chip attached. My t-shirt and my lucky number 6127!
My delicious breakfast of 1/2 bagel, 1/2 banana and gatorade.
We got on the bus at about 5:15 and it really started raining as we headed up to Central. We jumped off the bus to pouring rain and headed to the announcer booth to grab a trash bag. We are wearing the trash bags over our heads looking ultra sexy, when they announce the start of the race. We line up like cattle, and the race begins.

Mile 1-3: A piece of cake! There is so much adrenaline going that the first 3 miles are done before I know it. We are running tightly together still and it is still pouring rain.

Mile 4: The rain looks like it is going to stop so I pull off my trash bag, gloves, long sleeve shirt, and get ready to enjoy the overcast weather. I encounter my first port-o-potty with poop all over the seat. I dry heave 100 times!!

Mile 5,6,7,8,9,10: The rain begins again and is pouring. I am soaking wet from head to toe and with every step I hear squish, squish, squish from my soaking shoes. I put my head down and just run.

Mile 11,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18: I don't really remember these miles. I lost Tracey at about mile 10 as her knees were killing her. I am running all alone with my trusty MP3 player. I am stopping for gatorade and clif bars every 3 miles. My hamstrings are starting to cramp. The rain is pouring down and I wring out my shirt every few miles. My family has hung signs for me the whole way and I am laughing at their ridiculous signs.

Mile 19, 20, 21,22,23,24: I am tired of running. The rain has stopped but I am wet and cold. My bowels are telling me to stop running and I have to pee every 2 miles. I am trying to pull wet clothes off of my frozen body as I try to squat to pee in the stinky port-o-potty. I am tempted to catch a ride with the shuttle man.

Mile 25,26: I am almost there. About 3 blocks from the finish I see my brother and he runs with me. I am very emotional as he has run 2 marathons and been a great support to me in my training. He runs with me for about a block and then I see my parents, sister, sister in law, and neices. They run with me and I am filled with so much love and appreciation. I then see my sweet hubby and his family right before the finish. Some last minute adrenaline kicks in and pass two people I have been behind the entire race. YES! I crossed the finish line at 5 hours 11 minutes.

Considering the weather and the bathroom issues, I was pretty proud. At least I wasn't in last place and I did pass an 84 year old man right before the end.
My family!!
Chris's family!!
Love you babe!! Thanks for letting me do this!! I promise never again!

My dad and #1 supporter. My mom (not pictured) was also a huge supporter. Love you guys!!
Thanks for all the running tips Bob- you are a great role model.
Amy- thanks for coming! You are the best.
Me and Tracey telling everyone the horrible stories of the course!!
Love you Trac!!

Well, I can cross this event off my list and come to the conclusion that I am not built for running. I can do a lot of things, but running marathons is just not one of them. It was an amazing experience and I am so glad that I did it but I won't be doing another one for a long time! (Well, maybe next year!)

10 comments:

Hayley Winslow said...

OH MY GOSH! I was thinking about you all day as the rain came a-pourin' down. I thought about blisters and squishy socks and all. I guess at least it wasn't 400 degrees outside. Wowow girl, you are awesome! I am proud of you and a huge congrats from me, Mike, and our kiddies. I love ya!

Amy M. said...

Robbie,
Seriously sista' you rock! I am so proud of you.

Kristin said...

I'm impressed but not surprised! That is quite the accomplishment.

jeny said...

WAY TO GO, ROBYN!!
I feel ALL your pain.

Just think of it this way... next time can only be better, right?

Anonymous said...

You are such a champ...I am pissed that I could not find you. I think that I was there too early cause it was still raining and the girls started to get cold. Sorry no high five..seriously though I am so proud of you..you are awesome. Great job! maybe someday I will do one with you....right!

Lauralee said...

WAY TO GO! that is so awesome.. I heard about some of the signs.. too funny!

so sweet bobby came and ran with you.. love that!

way to go.. hope you are recovering okay!

Angie said...

You did it!!! I love how your family was all there to support you. You have such a good family! You are an inspiration to me!

Sandi said...

Good Job!!!! I was thinking about you all morning and called amy to see how you did!!!! Way to go

Maile's said...

you did it!!!!! i am SO proud of you- What an amazing accomplishment and what a thing to say" Oh yah, I ran the marathon.." lol. You rock! Congrats!!!
Luv ya, Nisi

jessica said...

Seriously Robin?! Oh my gosh, I couldn't believe how many miles you ran...5 hours straight?! I'm way impressed!! Congratulations!